Thursday, July 14, 2005

Why I'm Never Buying Another Copy Protected Audio CD

When the big record labels saw their profits falling when p2p first took off they came up with the brilliant idea of putting copy protection on their cds. Then profits fell even more because people didn't want to buy the protected disks... and rightly so.

I thought I'd do the right thing and actually purchase Let It Be... Naked, seeing as it was on special, not knowing that it was a copy protected disk, the first I've ever had to deal with. Anyway, I don't have a cd player; it doesn't play on my dvd player (which I use for my main stereo system); I can't rip it on my computer without the tracks being full of clicks and pops (and half the time it makes my drive lock up and computer freeze), so I can't listen to it on my ipod.

So now I've resorted to doing what I could have just as easily done in the first place and not have wasted all that time trying to get past the stupid fake TOC blocks they put in the audio data and everything. So a message to the stupid recording companies: copy protection is a stupid idea. No wonder you're loosing so much money.

So fire the geniuses you've got working up there at EMI head office on six figure salaries and get with it already.

2 comments:

katia said...

copy protected cds are still supposto work in computers/ dvd etc

i think last year at one point emi went overboard with copy protection so people could only listen to music on cd players, but heaps of people complained so they became more lenient and instead put in some protection so that cds just cant be copied (which my sleepy jacson cd has)

Joshua said...

Supposed to, but don't.

Works on computers through their dodgy player, playing compressed audio, not the actual cd audio.